Thursday, March 25, 2010

Table Mountain

Table Mountain is quite the wonder.



You can hike up to the top of the mountain in 2.5 hours, something i would have loved to do, had i had more time in Cape Town, SA. Instead, I took the cable car both ways. It only took seven minutes and it spun around 360 degrees so you could see everything around you.



The view from the top of Table Mountain, overlooking CapeTown on one side, and the Indian Ocean on the other, is one of the most breathtaking sights I have ever seen in my life.






The fantastic view also marked one of the few times in my African adventures when I really wished I had someone with me to share in the beauty of such a nature wonder.

The wind was ferocious and you had to be very cautious walking close to the mountains edge. They had a security horn that they would "hoot" if the wind speeds raised to a certain point, and everyone outside needed to come in. There was no hooting while I was there.

I passed two friends taking photos on a rock, and heard one say to the other, and this is a direct quote, " Oh. My. God. This is totally going to be your new Facebook profile picture." Ah, I know a good ol American when i hear one.

Down the path on the ocean side of the mountain, I caught two lovers attempting to procreate with their mouths, in a fashion I would like to assume they thought no one else could see. Lovely.

In a small valley of rocks, a family sat on their checkered blanket enjoying a picnic lunch, out of a wicker basket and all. Seriously.




I got sad for a hot second, I am not going to lie, at the pretty cool fact that this family got to eat AFREAKin picnic on a the top of Table Mountain, a picnic that would probably never taste as good ever again in their lives. The Dad had a glass of wine and i could only assume the assholes were eating really good cheese from inside that stupid basket.

Oh and look, there's a bar.

One short cut through the "do not enter; uneven rock zone," thirty rands, and one chilled class of white wine later, I was back to entertaining the thought of how bad it would hurt if i were to ever fall off the side of Table Mountain.


>

Later, I decided that for me, this wonder was meant to be enjoyed by myself. I cheers the facebook friends, the passionate lovers, and the cheese eating families with alcoholic Dad's, everywhere. I took a (big) sip and then Cheers!'ed the Mountain, myself, and the next breathtaking wonder I would see somewhere in the world and maybe, just maybe, be fortunate enough to be able to share with a friend, a lover, or my family.


( a bottle of wine and a picnic to boot)

At least I get to share the blog.

3 comments:

  1. You did share, though. I'll be waiting for the next destination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. breathtaking views!!!
    let's plan a picnic when you return my sweet daughter, with wine, cheese and back massages!!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Tara!! Amazing amazing! Glad to see you're having fun and doing something good for the world. Can't wait to see ya next week! Miss ya. Love, Pope

    ReplyDelete