Thursday, March 4, 2010

Happy Hour

Yesterday, we worked in the stables doing horse maintenence. I dont really like horses so i am not going to spend my rands talking about them forever.

Since they are wild horses, we first had to fetch them to take to the stable where we would tie them up and "maintain" them. We brushed their bods and combed their hair. "Shorty" btw has the sickest mohawk on the ENTIRE reserve.

We then "dipped" them because they are covered with ticks. Seriously, in their ears, in their eyes, and even in their bumholes. Total nastiness. When I saw this I deeted the hell out of my arms and legs.

I applied milk creme to "Norman's" sunburned nose. I asked the guide whats the worst thing that could happen to me while doing it. I was thinking maybe he would bite me. He said, "you could get kicked in the face and die" insert puzzled look, "hey you asked". Great optimism.
Even though Norman did not like the nose cream, I assured him it would help him in the long run. He must have liked me because he didnt kick me in the face and kill me.

Don't let my relationship with Shorty and Norman sway you. I still have a strong dislike for horses.

Then came the fun part. Well, whats fun for you and whats fun for me is different, but this job took a bit more skill. And muscle.

There is an alien tree above the horses water basin (bathtub), and is causing a big problem for the drinking water. (the tree is indeginous (SP) to central america, and is no good for S.america. Dennis (guide) wants to bring the elepehants to the tree and have them eat it) But until the elephants feast, we had to build a structure over the basin to protect the drinking water from the leaves. Fun right? Oh yeah..

We had to find two poles at the junk yard and dig two deep (2-3ft) holes. Believe me there is never a dull moment when you are working with two guys, two poles, and two holes. Luckily, the majority of the people in the program, regardless of where they are from (UK:(), have a decent sense of humor and know what she said...

Working with one hole and one pole at a time (as to not overwhelm the boys) one person was in charge of holding the pole (the most hungover, Neil) one person to shovel the dirt, Andrew (trying to be alpha male), and one person to "pound", yours truly (to pound is to use a metal pole as a pounder and pack the dirt down as to better secure the position of the pole). I did good.

I forgot to mention the back of the structure was the fence around the stable. I hope you didnt think we were going to make a shelter with just two poles?

We covered the top with green mesh tarp and filled the bathtub with water in celebration of our achievement. Yay! We build an "anti leave getting in drinking water bus stop sort of looking " structure.





We had just saved the day and felt pretty good. The horses didnt seem impressed and continued to shit all over the place and run in cirlces.

Looking at the structure and talking to the guide, i said " something is missing. there needs to be a sign." I volunteered myself, because i got skills. He told me he would bring paints and a piece of wood to our camp later that night so i can get started on the sign. I think, "Happy Hour" is quite suitable and i hope the (very stupid) horses agree.


Later, in the day my back was on fire from pounding, Andrew still wasnt alpha male, and Neil thought that we had made the structure yesterday.

1 comment: