Saturday, February 13, 2010

Save the Elephants! Art Exhibit

In an attempt to raise some money for my trip to South Africa, I came up with the idea to have an art show. Painting has always been the easy part for me, slap some purple here, green there, and voila! an artistic creation! I love Bob Ross.
The selling of the art, however... non-existent. The majority of the people who know me didn't know I painted in the first place (not sure how that slipped by). I have never had an art show. I am not featured at City Market, or Penny Cluse. Mmm herb gravy.
In an overwhelming "duh" moment, I realized that no one was going to buy a painting of mine (#13 on my "Just do it" List), thus never being able to cross that off my list, if my paintings are collecting dust in my locked apartment. Also, no one else is going to have an art show for me... so it looks like i gotta do it myself.
One thing led to another, and I decided I would use my trip to South Africa and my exhibit to promote it, as a stepping stone into the Local Burlington Art World. I had to also think about the progression of my life when I returned from South Africa.
First things first. I called the Bob (Steve Pole Waxer "the boss") to run my idea by him. My POA was to mentioned the lack of business on Sunday nights, my pathetic need to eventually "dip my toe in" the art world water, and capitalize on the fact that he wouldn't have to do anything. I deep down hoped that he would applaud my ideas of bringing in late night business or bettering myself as a human being. I quickly got over that, but, whatever, I received the Ok that I needed to get things moving, and that was plenty for me.
I picked a date. Would anyone really show up?
I didn't want to simply have a price tag on my art, it seemed way to final for me. Like for example, what if some guy came in to my exhibit and saw a cool painting priced at $100, wrote me a check, took it off the wall, and was on his way home, but passed another guy walking in and he saw the painting in the guys hand and said, "Whoa, i would have paid way more then $100 for that piece of art." I would have said, "DOH!"
In any event, (cue the Wyman) I came up with the idea to hold a silent auction where people can bid on my paintings. How? I am not quite sure. But, I googled it, and low and behold, "how to run a silent auction" popped right on up. I took googles advice, because google knows everything, and begun finalizing my fundraiser.
It hasn't happened yet, so i cant tell you how it worked out, but if you still want to go, and support me, I would be honored.
This is how it is going to go down.
My art will be on display at the Vermont Pub and Brewery from 7-10pm on February 21st. Its going to be Silent Auction style so there is going to be a minimum bid (+/- $150) , and at the end of the auction, the art will go to the highest bidder. There will be snacks and a donation box available if you do not want to take part in the Auction. When i figure out how to post pictures of my paintings on the blog, I will, but until then some of the paintings available are on my Facebook page.
I have never done anything like this before, so any feedback would be helpful.
Everyone has been super supportive and I forever thank you. Except for Jay Carlson, because he continues to make very bad ivory jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment