Monday, April 12, 2010

Back to reality.

I am back to Burlington, back to work, and back to reality. Is it good to be back? Well, yes and no.

Sometimes I fall asleep thinking I can hear a blueback swinging from a tree, or a jackal crying at the moon, but I remember I am not in the African bush, I am on the corner of a very busy American street and those noises are drunk college students and suby's with the snow tires left on.

Showering bug free is a beautiful thing, especially not having to worry about any dirty water getting in your mouth, but a clean shower could never be as satisfying as the moment that day when we released the dam and watched the water pour down the trench we had just dug, to the filtration system allowing us to have shower water for the next few days. The same water that the reserve is going to donate to the townspeople because their dam has already emptied, and the rain is not seeming to fall.

I don't miss being hungry. The monkey's would eat all our food, every day. And we would have to wait for someone to drive our dinner over from the Lodge. They honked there horn at the top of the hill and we would run up like starving little children.

I love my friends and missed them so much. Since i have been back I have had a chance to hang out with most of them. I leae for a month and everyone is messing around with different people... whoa. I even got to hang out with my new best friend ALL last weekend!

I spent a lot of time in a complete state of terror while i was in africa. Whether it was driving around the lion enclosure during a lion brawl, being face to face with the biggest littlest mouse in the word, swimming with sharks while my feet were going through the cage, having to kick lion cubs in the face so they'd stop trying to eat me, walking through down town Capetown at night while the townies were making kissing noises at me rubbing themselves, not knowing what to do after losing a whole lot of money, one handed quad biking, wasp in my pants and having to take my pants off in front of everyone, and the list could go on and on.

So far back in this American world the scariest thing that has happened is almost getting punched in the face by a guy i had to cut off at the bar. That and the new gladiator trend that is taking over church street. So like.... does everyone want to fight everyone now?

So, all in all, I had a great trip. I challenged myself to the extreme and traveled two whole days to a different continent by myself to explore what life would be like living in Africa on a Private Game Reserve. I learned many things about myself along the way, and that i am capable of doing just about anything i want, whether its digging a trench under the african sun, catching a wild horse, riding an elephant, or swimming with great white sharks.

I always say that You can't build a reputation on what you are Going to do. Or in order to do something good, you have to do SOMETHING.

Well... I said I was going to do it, I did it. So there.


The question now is, what am i going to do next? And, whose coming with me?

3 comments:

  1. I'll be South, South-West, and West for much of the Summer. Let me know if your next set of experiences takes you near those vague locations, I'll be mobile with nothing but a good book to read and a motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, BRAVO!!! and now we are eagerly awaiting your next life experience... and loving you all the time. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arlington COAT FACTORY!!

    ReplyDelete